Tuesday, 24th May 2022
for lawyers
for the public
Choose your State
Supreme Court County Court Magistrates Court Other State Courts Federal Courts Barristers
State Courts Federal Courts
Affording A Lawyer Barristers Choosing a Lawyer Finding Lawyers Working with Your
Legal System Acts Regulations
Choosing an Area
 of Law
Administrative Law Business Law Criminal Law Discrimination Law Elder Law Employment Law Family Law Injuries &
Property Law Tax Wills & Probate
Accessibility &
A to Z Collection Community Legal
Desktop Detective DIY Legal Kits Finding Detailed
 Legal Information
Foolkit Widgets General Tools Legal Aid Funding

Law for Elders

On this page

Power of Attorney

Most people sign what is known as an Enduring Power of Attorney.

With this document you empower one or more people to sign your name to and conduct all your legal and business affairs. Unless you impose any limits on this, that authority starts immediately and continues until you die. It continues even when you may be incapacitated physically or mentally, such as by a stroke or by senility. A General Power of Attorney does not work in those circumstances.

It is a very serious matter to appoint a Power of Attorney. You should consider the many options available to you before choosing who you appoint and on what terms. You should not proceed with a Power of Attorney if you have any doubts at all and should seek legal advice. Unfortunately lawyers deal with many situations where a Power of Attorney has been abused or has led to family disputes. Proper advice that takes into account your personal situation and careful legal drafting can help to avoid this.

Enduring Power of Attorney (Guardianship)

A guardian is someone you appoint someone to make medical and lifestyle decisions for you. These may include agreeing to medication, surgery, and other medical procedures and decisions as to where you should live.

Enduring means it continues (endures) when you are unable to make these types of decisions for yourself.

Acts, Regulations, Rules & Forms

Are you looking for detailed information like this, or contact details for any of the bodies mentioned on this page. If so, then start on our Elder Law for Lawyers page.

If it isn't there, then start on our Finding Detailed Legal Information page.

Please read our warning on that page "Be careful using these resources".

The Law is not always as straightforward as it appears. We have not included any information about when and how to use that information or any traps. We assume that the Lawyers will know this.

Help Us Improve

Please give us feedback about your experiences using Foolkit and ideas for improvements.


Administration & Guardianship

When a person with a mental incapacity can no longer make decisions in certain areas of life, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal can be requested to make an order appointing somebody else to do this on that person's behalf.

The causes of mental incapacity can include dementia, intellectual disability, brain damage, mental illness, coma or being in a moribund state, and this must affect the person's ability to make his or her own decisions.

The main orders the Board can make concern their guardianship, care, treatment, detention and control of their financial and legal decisions ("administration").


Victoria 1 elder law power of attorney guardian mental health law legal senile dementia alzheimer

Victoria 2 elder law power of attorney guardian mental health law legal senile dementia alzheimer

Retirement Villages

Consumer Affairs Victoria - Retirement Villages pages has general information for the public on buying a unit.

See also Law Handbook (Vic) - Retirement Villages.

Disputes concerning retirement villages and residential leases can be taken to Consumer Affairs. If they cannot help resolve a dispute, then Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal can hear and determine many disputes between the retirement village operator and one or more residents.

Some early termination fees for loans made to enter a Retirement Village may no longer be enforceable. Seek legal advice.